• Mobile Slider Image


    Information for Landlords

    Rollos understand the importance of feeling secure in the knowledge that your property is in safe hands.

Get in Touch

We are here to take the stress out of the letting process for you; our team offer expert advice and a local experienced service with a focus on communication and consideration. Our services are designed to give you peace of mind whilst maximising the return on your investment.

Landlords in the UK are required to adhere to stringent safety regulations designed to protect tenants from avoidable hazards.

If you are looking to rent your property, Rollos can offer a Full Management Service or a Let Only Service to help you with this process. Our integrated office network gives us a marketing edge over our competitors by way of increased marketing exposure and the ability to reach more potential tenants.

Our Let Only services are noted below but further bespoke services are available to include viewings and regulatory certificates for example, Gas Safety, EPC and Inventory Report. If you require a bespoke service, please contact our office on 01334 477774

Our staff are given comprehensive training and have detailed knowledge of how to handle problems with letting, guaranteeing you peace of mind that your legal obligations have been fulfilled.

Rollos are prominent leaders in the property letting market in Fife and our brand is one of the most recognised in the area. Our local knowledge and specialist team enables us to market your property to its full potential and we can use our network of five offices to reach the widest possible client base.

Our main objective is to ensure a smooth lettings process and to assist we have created a package best suited to your needs.


Full Management Service/ Let Only Service

Service Feature Fully Managed Let Only
Free consultation and valuation service X X
Property marketing plan X X
Arranging and conducting accompanied viewings Details are passed to Landlord
Rent assessment reviews X X
Preparation and signing of tenancy agreements X X
EIRC and Gas Safety certificates X  
Organise property maintenance X  
Arrange for renewal of mandatory safety certificates eg, EIRC X  
Monthly accounts statement unless otherwise agreed X  
Arrange inventory and check in/out inspections X  
Lodging of security deposit with Safe Deposit Scotland X  
Submission of disputed deposit queries to Safe Deposit Scotland X  
Ensure property complied with current regulations and legislation  X  
Oversea insurance claims where authorised X  
Liaising with 3rd party issues if required X  
Advice on refurbishment and upgrading X  
Portfolio management X  
PAT Test X  




Private Residential Tenancy Agreement

The Private Housing (Tenancies) Scotland Act 2016 took effect from 1st December 2017 and introduced a new type of tenancy known as a ‘Private Residential Tenancy’ (‘PRT’). Now, leases have no fixed period which binds both parties to a minimum term. This means there is no end date to a lease, allowing the tenancy to be terminated at any point by the landlord and or tenant as long as obligatory notice periods are adhered to.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

In terms of the Housing Scotland Act 2004, it has been law since April 2007 that all deposits collected must be protected. Tenancy deposit protection schemes ensure that if the landlord and tenant dispute the deposit repayment amount at the end of tenancy then it will be resolved by the dispute resolution service. Rollos use Safe Deposits Scotland.

House of Multiple Occupancy

Under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (licensing of houses in Multiple Occupation) Order 2000 a mandatory licensing system has been set up by local authorities for households in Multiple Occupancy (“HMO”). The primary reason for the introduction of mandatory licensing is to increase the protection that is given to tenants in such establishments by ensuring that the accommodation is both safe and of good quality. We carry out monthly safety checks ensuring that they are being maintained to licensing law standards.

Gas and Electrical Safety

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1988 stipulate that all gas appliances must be inspected annually by a Gas Safety registered engineer. A valid Gas Safety Record must be issued each time and updated every twelve months. Non- compliance is a criminal offence with serious penalties.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 require that electrical equipment, including wiring, is safe. A Portable Appliance Test (or more detailed full electrical inspection, if necessary) should be carried out regularly and all electrical testing must be conducted by a qualified and registered engineer.

Supporting Notes

It’s the law that as a landlord you must give the tenant a written tenancy agreement. There are nine tenancy terms which must be included in the tenancy agreement by law.

Supporting Notes are given to help the tenant understand those terms. These notes will be given to the tenant when they receive a copy of the tenancy agreement.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

If you’re letting a property, the law requires you to provide an Energy Performance Certificate to prospective tenants. This must be assessed at an E grade or higher to be listed with Rollos.

An EPC is a legal requirement for any new tenancies and details the energy performance of a property. Your local Rollos Property Letting Branch is able to advise you on the cost of an EPC and will be happy to arrange it for you.

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Regulations 2015

All properties let after 1st October 2015 are required by law to have a smoke alarm on each floor of the property. Additionally, in any room with solid fuel appliances there must be a carbon monoxide or joint smoke/CO alarm fitted that must be hard wired or can be radio linked. A fire blanket or small fire extinguisher should be provided in the kitchen.

Fire and Furnishings

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire and Safety) Regulations 1988, amended in 1993 and 2010, state that it is a criminal offence to let premises with upholstered furniture that does not comply with the safety regulations. There are certain exemptions to note, but the penalties for non-compliance are tough.

The finer Details

Preparing your Property

Décor and Fittings

In order to maximise the letting potential of your property, quality of presentation and attention to detail are crucially important. The more attractive and complete the presentation, the easier it becomes to find a high calibre tenant and achieve a good rental return.

Décor and Fittings should be in good order. Most tenant’s preference is for plain, natural colours for decorations and carpets.

Kitchens should be fully fitted with up to date appliances including an oven, hob, washing machine, a good capacity refrigerator/freezer and dishwasher.

Showers are a prerequisite and there is a general preference for neutral coloured suits and tiled walls.

To create a good impression, the exterior of the property must be in good, fresh decorative condition. Garages should be cleared for use and gardens presented in attractive seasonal condition.

Domestic Appliances

All appliances and machinery must be in good working order and serviced as appropriate. Manufacturers operating and instruction manuals for all appliances and electrical equipment should be left in the property. It is important that all appliances and electrical equipment and the central heating boiler are serviced and in good working order. Gas and electrical appliances must meet legal safety requirements and all appliances should be tested annually.


All available utilities should be connected to the property including telephone line, electricity, gas and water. Where provided, check the LPG gas containers and oil tanks are full at the start of the tenancy and the septic tank is empty.


A minimum of three complete sets of keys must be provided. If your property is being managed by Rollos, a set of keys will be held at our local branch. We can arrange for keys to be cut.

Non Residential Landlords

If your usual home is outside of the UK, you will need to register with the Non-resident Landlord Scheme. For more details, contact the Inland Revenue or see www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nrlandlords.htm

Our People

Expertise and advice you can rely on.
  • Gillian Cowan
  • Joe Douglas
  • Scott Cormie
  • Amy Shine